Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Summary

Over these past 6 weeks I have learnt so much in terms of education and of me. I have discovered in more depth what I like and what I am good at. I have thought about things that I never even considered in the past, this makes me feel like Ravensbourne has already taught me so much. Moving through the testers of each pathway, I have explored many different techniques and processes in many different forms.
Searching for things to do with my past and present was fun, I searched through and took photographs of the things that are really important to me. Some of this was recent including travel tickets and some were from when I was much younger. I learnt more about myself in this task, looking at this collection of items in front of me that in a way represented me. 
In fashion, I created a garment out of simply paper and glue. I loved designing the dress, exploring different ways I could approach the task. I used my instinct and all the ideas that came to my head I drew as ideas in my sketchbook. I have definitely learnt during the beginning of this course that using my instinct can work. Sometimes over-thinking ruins the idea. 
Having learnt the basics of photoshop, I improved my skills on the computer and discovered what amazing things one can do using programs such as InDesign and Illustrator. Also writing the review on a piece in the Tate reminded me how I like to focus on one work of art and concentrate on the concept on it. I really enjoy going to galleries especially with a group of people, getting other ideas and perspectives of works from other students.
I never thought I would be able to make an object that I could not only sit, but also stand on, out of cardboard. I used my logical mind and created a design for a chair that held my weight in the 3D design week, I must say I was quite impressed with myself, although the design could have been a little more elegant. Working in a group for the bridge creation was fun. Getting everyone involved and putting everyone's ideas into one product, we managed to produce a great bridge that held the car all the way round, following all the requirements!
The lens based media week taught me more about film media as I have already studied photography at A level. I learnt that anyone can create a story, with any prop or journey! This week I learnt that I would definitely like to set myself a project sometime in my life to make some kind of short film, using a simple idea.
At the beginning of the course I thought that fashion was the right pathway for me, but after learning more about graphics I changed my mind. I love making clothes and designing products, but the talks on both pathways helped me make my decision. Graphic design has more option for me and I get to focus on a more broad industry. I am happy with my choice and I am very excited to start the pathway in graphics!
The lectures I have attended have also helped me pick my pathway and it was inspiring to hear about people's careers and how they differ through this wide range of artistic choices. To be taken through individuals work helped me understand more about how each individual pathway continues as a career.
Overall, these past few weeks have given me a chance to find what I like and what is not for me. I have met some great people and enjoyed being lead by the tutors and influenced by the people around me. I am very much looking forward to starting individual projects and the rest of the year!


No comments:

Post a Comment